The project’s overall objective was to contribute to poverty alleviation and economic development in the District of Moneragala of Sri Lanka.
- More specifically the project:
- Improved the quality of life and the family income of the poorer layers of the population through the use of solar energy
- Reduced environmental pollution and health problems/hazards caused by the use of kerosene lamps
- Raised public awareness and sensitized local authorities and citizens on the use of renewable energy.
- The main activities of the project included:
- Information campaign on the benefits of renewable energy
- Selection of the beneficiary schools and families
- Training on RES and the installation of photovoltaic systems
- Invitation to tender and purchase of photovoltaic systems
- Installation of 400 home systems, 60 systems for schools and 2 systems for hospitals
- Dissemination of the project results and promotion of Hellenic Aid
The project that was co-funded by Hellenic Aid (Hellenic Ministry of Foreign Affairs and provided free energy to about 10000 people whose family income is less than 20 euros per month.